Saturday, January 24, 2009

Wi-Fi Hotspots and Tethered Shooting: Comforters in Competitive Times

The Pizza Ad Campaign

An east coast vendor contacted me frantically requesting digital images of a couple local pizza restaurants. It was the familiar story from the business world of how the deadline was yesterday and how the previous photographer dropped the ball.

Tethering my camera to my laptop enabled me to immediately proof the images thus minimizing the need for time consuming post-processing and editing. Once I bagged the necessary images, I quickly headed for the ferry back to the mainland. During the wait and ride I finished the cleanup process. As part of my going the extra mile I added labels to the packaging, added people, eliminated sad faces and pasted the glad. Fortunately the ferry was Wi-Fi hotspot enabled so I uploaded the images to my client’s server. I should add, I could have uploaded proofs from a local coffee shop, library or any Wi-Fi Hotspots. I was able to offer a professional range of color corrected and print ready images. An added bonus: I was also submitted my invoice electronically via PayPal.

Convention Center

Winter 2008 I was contracted by the VFW to provide weekend coverage for their midwinter convention at the Yakima Convention Center. The convention center was Wi-Fi hotspot enabled, so I not only uploaded my files to my website for proofing, but also was able to process credit card information for individual sales. A couple clients viewed their images with their iPhones or laptops during the conference day and purchased additional poses. Later that evening, others used the hotel’s computer to view and order images.
After reviewing the quality of my work, a California couple requested an engagement portrait. One lady pleaded for a reshoot. She was right; a little makeup makes a big difference. She tipped me generously plus referred me to a friend.

Local Theater

A local theater needed professional portraits of their board of directors. Again using tethered shooting, and a stand-in model, I was able to check lighting, proof poses and eliminate the goofy stuff that’s difficult to see in the camera’s view finder. Six board members and two groupings were shot in less than 40 minutes. Because the assignment was proofed on-location very little post production was required. The client had the product in hand the next day.

What’s required for this efficiency of operation: a digital camera, laptop, a reasonable fast Wi-Fi or hotspot portal. More importantly experience with a tested digital workflow that enables you to bring everything all together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home